Tag Archives: Colette pattern
Here’s my poppy red Colette beignet skirt
I made this a couple of months ago. At first I was really happy with it, but having worn it to work one day I realised why the instructions suggest a heavy weight fabric – the fabric I used crumpled the minute I sat on it. There’s a reason using the wrong fabric is number 2 on Colette’s ten ways to ruin your sewing. Oh well I still wear it lot. And now I know how to make it, I’m probably going to make another one in some emerald green twill I picked up at Holloway market.
Pattern: Colette beignet
The pattern was so easy to follow and I loved the booklet setup. So much easier than the giant pieces of paper that come with other patterns. It made sewing it a dream, despite the fact that it was probably the most complex thing I’d made at the time. I used my mum’s serger to finish the edges, though it took me about four hours to work out how to thread it.
Fabric: Shell fabric – a red cotton bought at the Knitting and Stitching show last year from the Fabrics Galore stand. Lining Fabric – a cotton check that my sister bought on sale at John Lewis last year.
What I like about it: The fit – I made a size smaller than I thought I would need. I’m about two sizes bigger around my hips than I am at my waist so I cut it for my waist as I didn’t want it to be loose there. And somehow it fits!
What I would change: The fabric! I bought it because I loved the colour but I obviously haven’t learnt my lesson yet about using suitable fabrics. The cotton is too flimsy for this pattern and after a day at work the skirt is very crumpled.
Also my seams are really quite puckered – needed to be more careful about my curved seams in the future.
I found a metre of this fabric in the sale at Liberty’s and immediately thought of the free Colette Sorbetto top I’ve been wanting to make. I love this print, and despite being alot more expensive then most fabrics I usually buy I think it was worth it in the end.
I wasn’t sure if the pattern would suit me as I’m on the bustier side, normally I try to wear things that are more fitted, but I was pleasantly suprised by the fit.
I kept the pattern simple, I really like the embellishments that others have done but this print is quite distinctive already. I did lower the neckline an inch or so to try to make it more flattering.
Pattern: Colette’s free sorbetto pattern
Fabric: Peacock print tana lawn from Liberty £11 for a metre
Time: One evening spent cutting out the pattern and sewing the main part of the top and one evening to make and attach the bias binding.
What I liked about it: The fit – it looks better then I thought it would. The fabric – the sorbetto pattern was a great simple pattern for this distinctive print.
What I would change: I might try and make my bias binding lie flatter – it does gape a tiny bit. Also I think I would be tempted to make it an inch longer . I also really want to make one with sleeves perhaps like Mena from Sew Weekly’s Sunny Sorbetto.